What is a maintenance log?
The service and maintenance log provide the various checks to help condominium or building managers inspect the different parts of the building. It allows you to keep an inventory of all the components of the common areas in order to ensure optimal maintenance. Delivered in paper or electronic format, you can easily find all the components of the common areas and their maintenance instructions, you can follow them to leave nothing to chance.
The management of the conservation and maintenance of condominium buildings is an issue that undoubtedly takes on more importance given the sustained growth of this type of housing, the appearance of guarantees as well as constructive developments.Both technical and legislative. Effective maintenance of a building extends its useful life and ensures compliance with regulations. Everything is economically profitable in the long term, while guaranteeing the peace of mind of the occupants. Not only are regular inspections but also maintenance recommended, they should soon be recorded in a maintenance log.
Please note that the Government of Quebec will soon propose the implementation of a measure on the maintenance log: « the content, form and procedures for keeping and reviewing the maintenance log, as well as the people who can establish and revise it, will be determined by a regulation of the Government of Quebec. No date has been set at this time.
What does it include?
The maintenance log records all the stages in the life of the building since its construction. It contains the insurance, guarantee, conservation and maintenance contracts related to the building and recalls its technical construction characteristics.
Here are the descriptive elements and the documents that must be attached to the maintenance booklet:
- The history of the site that houses the building,
- Warranty, maintenance and upkeep contracts for the various building systems with an expiry date,
- Planning, history and monitoring of maintenance work,
- building permit,
- The technical description including in particular the architectural, cadastral and engineering plans and the technical studies,
- The years of construction and renovation,
- The date of completion of the main work,
- The contact details of the companies that carried out the work and the related documents (budgets, invoices, plans, guarantees, etc.),
- The list and description of the common portions and the date of receipt of these by the syndicate
And even more! Although preparing a document of this type may seem complex, many specialized companies can help you build it so that nothing is left out. Of course, the maintenance of ventilation ducts, dryer ducts if applicable, condensers, air conditioners, heat pumps and even microbiological cleaning are important elements to include in the register. The cleaning frequency of these systems should be updated periodically.